Apr 26, 2018  
2012-2013 University Catalogue 
2012-2013 University Catalogue [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Options

Auditing a Course     Change of Major or Degree     Graduate Topics     Honors Program     Independent Study     Internships     Minors & Concentrations     Pass | Fail Option     Private Lessons     Study Abroad & Off-Campus Study   UArts/USP Exchange Program     UG Students Enrolled in a Course for GR Credit



Auditing a Course

Audited courses are an excellent mechanism for students to refresh their skills and/or understanding of a topic without the pressure of pursuing a grade.

The following policies apply to audited courses:

  • Audited courses do not carry credit and do not satisfy degree requirements.
  • An audited course may not be repeated for credit. Therefore, students may not audit a required course unless the course requirement has already been satisfactorily met as dictated by their degree requirements.
  • Regular tuition rates are charged for audited courses, and are included in the full-time tuition charge.
  • Audited courses will be indicated on the transcript with a grade of “AU”.
  • Once registration has closed no change can be made to the audit status of a course.

To audit a course:

  1. Download the Pass/Fail or Audit form from the Office of the Registrar’s website
  2. Complete and return the form to the Office of the Registrar by the end of the registration period.

Change of Major or Degree

Students may request a change of major through the Office of the Registrar. Students are advised to initiate the Change of Major process prior to advising and registration for the upcoming semester. The petition requires the approval of the appropriate chairpersons or directors of both the former and the intended new department or school. The student will be required either to present a portfolio or to audition as part of the transfer review process. Please note that acceptance into a new major program within the University may be contingent upon the successful completion of the courses in which the student was enrolled at the time the application to make the change was submitted. Therefore, approval to change majors may be rescinded based on the result of that semester’s coursework.

After completion of a change of major, students are advised to review their degree program requirements with their new academic advisor, the department chair or school director, and the dean of the appropriate college.

Graduate Topics | GR Student Enrollment in UG Courses

Graduate students may register for undergraduate courses for graduate credit.  Often this work contributes directly to preparation of the graduate project or thesis proposal.  Students are welcome to select an area of study that broadens or intensifies their background in the arts, education, and related disciplines.

The student and instructor will document in writing the additional requirements commensurate with graduate level study, beyond the undergraduate requirements for the course. It should be understood that “additional requirements” implies complexity of work, which is not satisfied by quantity alone.

Graduate students interested in enrolling in undergraduate courses for graduate credit should search for courses with a GRXX subject code (i.e. GRPT: Graduate Painting).  Enrollment in a Graduate Topics course (GRXX 699) requires instructor consent.  Courses numbered GRXX 500 or lower do not require instructor consent to register, however, students are required to document additional requirements with the instructor as articulated above.

To enroll in a Graduate Topics course (GRXX 699):

  1. Download a Graduate Topics form from the Office of the Registrar’s website.
  2. Complete the form in counsel with the course instructor.
  3. Obtain permission from the Graduate Program Director and (for Liberal Arts courses) the Dean of Liberal Arts.
  4. Submit the form to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Honors Program

Starting in spring 2013, first-year UArts students may apply to enter an intensive and challenging Honors Program alongside their major area of study. Honors students will complete honors seminars and will participate in special colloquia to present and critique each other’s projects. These students will have unique opportunities to learn from and work with visiting ar tists and major figures in the creative professions. Successful honors students will graduate with marks of distinction to recognize their extraordinary accomplishments.

Independent Study

Independent Study offers a matriculated student the opportunity to initiate individual research or advanced projects that are beyond the offerings of the University. Students are responsible for documenting the content of the independent study to other institutions or outside agencies, should they require further information beyond the student’s transcript.

The following policies apply to independent study courses:

  • Available to junior and senior undergraduate students, with a 2.5 minimum GPA
  • Available to graduate students in good academic standing
  • An independent study may be pursued within CAMD for 1.5-6 credits, CPA for 1-6 credits and Liberal Arts for 1-3 credits.
  • Independent study courses cannot be taken pass/fail
  • The approved number of credits for independent study cannot be changed after the student has registered for the course.
  • Students may apply no more than 12 credits of independent study towards their degree requirements. An independent study will fulfill elective credit requirements: free, studio, or liberal arts depending on the topic of investigation.

To enroll in an Independent Study:

  1. Download an independent study form from the Office of the Registrar’s website
  2. Identify a University of the Arts faculty member with expertise in the area of investigation, who is willing to serve as the course instructor.
  3. In consultation with the selected faculty member, develop a proposal and complete the independent study form, which must include a semester plan for the course of study, indicating the number of credits being taken and the evaluation criteria to be used by the faculty member in defining the course grade.
  4. Obtain permission from the program director.
  5. Submit the form to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
  6. Register for the course during the registration period. Select the appropriate subject code. The section number is always 00.
    Undergraduate Independent Study: XXXX 490 00
    Graduate Independent Study: GRXX 690 00


Internships allow undergraduate juniors and seniors, as well as graduate students, the opportunity to earn academic credit while working in their chosen field. For more information concerning internships students should speak to their program/school director or office.

The following policies apply to internships:

  • Internship courses are scheduled during the fall, spring, and summer terms.
  • Students may not apply more than six internship credits toward their degree requirements, with the exception of students majoring in Theater or Dance who may apply up to twelve credits.
  • Some internship courses are graded pass/fail, others require a letter grade.
  • Special Tuition & Fees  apply to internships completed during the summer
    Please Note: Billing policy concerning summer internships is changing commencing with the summer 2013 term. 

Minors & Concentrations

The University offers minors and concentrations for undergraduate degree candidates who wish to focus on a specific discipline. Students are encouraged to declare a minor if it contributes to meeting their educational goals. There is no penalty for declaring a minor and not completing it.

The following policy applies to all minors:

  • Students must meet eligibility requirements that may include a satisfactory grade point average, prerequisites, and/or portfolio review.
  • A student may not major and minor in the same program, except where indicated.
  • Courses completed in pursuit of a minor fulfill elective requirements, including liberal arts electives.
  • All minors require a minimum of 15 credits, with the exception of E-Music for Music majors.
  • Substitutions for minor requirements are only permitted in exceptional circumstances. The advisor for a minor or concentration may choose to approve a substitution.
  • The requirements of the minor must be completed prior to graduation.
  • A student pursuing a minor may be required to complete more than the minimum number of credits required to complete the undergraduate degree in order to also complete the minor.
  • Minors are available only to undergraduate students.

To enroll in a minor:

  1. Download the Declaration/Change of Minor form from the Office of the Registrar’s website.
  2. Obtain permission from both major and minor advisors.
  3. Submit the form to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Pass | Fail Option

The following policies apply to courses taken for a pass/fail grade:

  • Available to undergraduate students only.
  • A maximum of nine credits may be taken under the pass/fail option.
  • The option extends to studio electives and liberal arts courses only; not including liberal arts core requirements, independent study, or discipline history courses.
  • Course instructors are not to be informed of students taking a course pass/fail.
  • Once registration has closed no change can be made to the pass/fail status of a course.
  • Students electing to take a course pass/fail will receive grades of OP or OF, which are not computed into the student’s GPA.
  • The Office of the Registrar will automatically convert grades entered by faculty during grading to OP or OF. Grades of A to C are converted to OP and grades of C- to F are converted to OF.

To enroll in a course for a pass/fail grade:

  1. Download the Pass/Fail or Audit form from the Office of the Registrar’s website
  2. Complete and return the form to the Office of the Registrar by the end of the registration period.

Private Lessons | Non-music majors

Private instrumental or vocal lessons may be taken by non-music majors for elective credit (1.5 credits, seven hours of instruction per semester). See the School of Music for available instrumentation, faculty, and to register. An additional fee is required. See the tuition and fees page for details.

Study Abroad & Off-Campus Study Policies & Procedures

Study abroad, domestic mobility, and exchange opportunities are available through programs hosted or coordinated through regionally accredited U.S. institutions, or through direct application to a foreign institution whose courses the University has agreed to accept for credit. The selection of a program should be made carefully, as it may have implications for cost, financial aid, transferability of credits, progress in the major, and progress toward completion of degree requirements. Students must meet with their program directors to review the program under consideration to ensure their academic progress towards fulfilling their UArts degree requirements.

Study abroad options fall into the following categories:

Direct Enrollment

The University of the Arts maintains agreements with partner institutions, particularly in the United Kingdom, that permit students to enroll directly for a semester or longer. There is normally an application process specific to the institution and space is not guaranteed. Students enrolling in these programs pay University of the Arts tuition and the University of the Arts pays the partner institution’s tuition on behalf of the student. For institutions with tuition that exceeds UArts tuition, students will be billed by UArts for the difference.

International Exchange Programs

University of the Arts students have the opportunity to be considered to study away from Philadelphia at one of the University’s partner institutions by participating in a student exchange. The International Exchange Program enables select UArts students to study at a variety of institutions while earning University of the Arts credit and being immersed in the culture of some of the world’s most exciting cities.

Many universities offer course work in English, while others require advanced knowledge of a foreign language.

Students who are approved to enroll in the International Exchange Program pay UArts tuition which allows students to maintain their financial aid package, including grants and scholarships (unique partner fees may be required). Students may also apply for additional financial aid (in the form of loans) for study abroad through the Student Financial Services Office.

Mobility Program

The UArts College of Art, Media, and Design is a member of the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design (AICAD). Students in good standing may spend a semester, usually in their Junior year, as a guest at another participating member institution. Students remain matriculated at the University of the Arts and, with their advisor’s prior approval, will receive full credit for work done at one of the following cooperating institutions:

AICAD Domestic Affiliates

Art Academy of Cincinnati; Art Institute of Boston; California College of Arts; Cleveland Institute of Art; College for Creative Studies; Columbus College of Art and Design; Cooper Union School of Art; Corcoran College of Art and Design; Kansas City Art Institute; Laguna College of Art and Design; Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts; Maine College of Art; Maryland Institute, College of Art; Massachusetts College of Art; Memphis College of Art; Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design; Minneapolis College of Art and Design; Montserrat College of Art; Moore College of Art and Design; Oregon College of Art and Craft; Otis College of Art and Design; Pacific Northwest College of Art; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts; Rhode Island School of Design; Ringling College of Art and Design; San Francisco Art Institute; School of the Art Institute of Chicago; School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

AICAD International Affiliates

Alberta College of Art and Design; Emily Carr University of Art and Design; NSCAD University; Ontario College of Art and Design

Affiliated Programs

The University maintains affiliation agreements with a select group of study abroad providers who welcome applications from UArts students. Applications for these programs are submitted through the University’s Study Abroad Office. Students enrolling in affiliate programs pay the University of the Arts tuition and the University pays the affiliate’s tuition on behalf of the student. For affiliates with tuition that exceeds that exceed UArts tuition, students will be billed by UArts for the difference.
Students should contact the Study Abroad Coordinator by telephone or e-mail (215-717-6389, studyabroad@uarts.edu) to learn more about these options, including application deadlines, procedures, and costs. Planning for study abroad should begin before the end of the first year of study at the University in order to maximize the possibility of defining appropriate options.

The following applies to students who submit an Off-Campus Study form:

  • Students with cumulative grade point averages of less than 2.70 and those on any form of academic warning will not be permitted to study abroad.
  • Students on judicial or disciplinary probation will not be approved for study abroad.
  • Students must register for a minimum of twelve credits for each semester abroad.
  • Approval of an Off-Campus Study form is always contingent on acceptance by an affiliated program or a partner institution. The Study Abroad Coordinator has up-to-date information concerning deadlines for application and application procedures.
  • Students who normally receive Financial Aid remain eligible for federal, state, institutional, and merit-based aid while engaged in off-campus study and upon their return to UArts, presuming that the student continues to meet the academic requirements of their aid package. Please note that some named institutional scholarships may not be applied toward off-campus study.
  • The student will be billed for tuition and fees by UArts. UArts will then pay the student’s required tuition and fees at the institution where the student is accepted up to an amount equal to the University of the Arts tuition. Students will be responsible for tuition costs that exceed UArts tuition.
  • Depending on the agreement that the University has made with a partner institution, students may be billed by UArts for the costs of housing or travel, and those payments will then be made on behalf of the student. In all cases, students are responsible for the costs of travel and housing.
  • The Study Abroad Office always makes clear to students in advance what the full costs of any program will be, including broad advice about living and incidental costs, which can vary greatly by country. Students abroad are normally not permitted to work by the host country, and so need to plan on funding all of their expenses that semester without the benefit of a part-time job.

All off-campus study forms in fall 2013 and spring 2014 must be complete (with all relevant approvals) by April 10, 2013. This normally means that students should begin the petition as early as March 15. The Study Abroad Coordinator is available to assist with filling out the petition form correctly and will facilitate the process of gaining approvals.

Students who plan to study abroad should apply for financial aid adhering to normal deadlines and procedures. Additionally, such students will be asked to provide the University of the Arts Office of Student Financial Services with a duly executed power of attorney if documents will require their signature during the study abroad period. In the course of applying to study abroad, a student should meet with his or her assigned Financial Aid counselor to assure that aid is processed before he or she leaves the country. In addition, students studying off campus may not use the extended payment plan (TMS) to pay for tuition and other charges.

UArts & The University of the Sciences Exchange Program

The University of the Arts and University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP) have an exchange program that allows students from both universities to take advantage of their courses and specialized facilities. The agreement allows students from all three colleges to take one course a semester at the University of the Sciences. Paying regular UArts tuition, students may take up to 18 credits of course work at the University of the Sciences over six semesters that appear on a student’s transcript as though the course were taken at UArts. Courses taken at USP receive letter grades and fulfill UArts degree requirements.

The USP courses that are available cover a broad range of subjects – the sciences, foreign languages, the social sciences, history and political sciences, computer science and mathematics, and business and marketing. In addition, exchange students have full access to the library and athletic center.

The University of the Sciences students wishing to participate can locate course sections offered at UArts by going to this address.

For more information, contact the Office of the Dean in your college or your program director.

Undergraduate Students Enrolled for Graduate Credit

A student in the final year of the bachelor’s degree program may take a maximum of 6 credits of graduate courses toward a master’s degree, subject to all of the following conditions:

  • The student must have completed the junior level of the major.
  • The graduate credits must be over and above the credits required for the bachelor’s degree and may not be applied to that degree.
  • The student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better.
  • Permission is granted by the department chairperson/director and dean of the college.
  • No more than a total of 6 credits, taken either as a UArts undergraduate or non-matriculated student, or taken at another college or university, may be applied to the graduate program.