Jan 18, 2019  
2018-2019 University Catalogue 
2018-2019 University Catalogue

Student Academic Records, Data & Privacy


Change of Address

Students should access their My UArts Record account via the UArts Portal to review and update their address. Instructions are available on the Office of the Registrar’s website on the MyUArts Record page. Alternatively, students can make changes in person at the Office of the Registrar with presentation of valid photo identification.

Policy: Change of Address Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A

Change of Name

Students may update their official name with the Office of the Registrar by:

  1. Completing a Change of Name form available on the Forms page on the Office of the Registrar website.
  2. Providing a copy of the Social Security card issued in your new name, or proof from the Social Security Office that you have applied for a card with your new name.
  3. Providing legal documentation reflecting the change.

Acceptable documentation includes:

  • Court Documentation
  • Marriage certificate

Requests are accepted:

  • In person: at the Office of the Registrar
  • Via email: to registrar@uarts.edu
    • Emailed submissions will only be accepted when received from the student’s uarts.edu email account, with the appropriate documentation clearly scanned and attached to the email.
  • Via mail:

The Office of the Registrar
The University of the Arts
320 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19119

Policy: Change of Name Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A

Deceased Student Records

Requests for the records of a deceased student must be accompanied by a notarized statement from the executor of the estate of the deceased approving the release of records. Requests concerning students who have long been deceased will be evaluated by the University based on legitimate educational interest.

Policy: Deceased Student Records Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A

Email Requirement

For security and privacy reasons faculty and staff can only offer in depth support to student inquiries received from University managed email accounts, only limited and general policy information can be shared with inquiries received from non-University issued email accounts. Students, faculty, and staff are expected to use their University email account for all UArts business. Students are responsible for regularly reading and responding to email sent by the University faculty, staff, and administration.

E-mail support can be obtained from the University Help Desk, via telephone at 215-717-6677, or by e-mailing helpdesk@uarts.edu.

Policy: Email Requirement Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A

Enrollment Verification

Enrollment verification provides information regarding a student’s enrollment status (full time/part time), dates of attendance, degrees sought or awarded, and program of study. 

This information may be required by the student’s lender, insurance carriers, sponsor, et cetera to determine eligibility for loan deferment and continuation of in-school benefits. The Office of the Registrar will verify enrollment for future terms only after the student has registered for classes and has been cleared by Student Financial Services.

Student enrollment is transmitted to the National Student Clearinghouse (NSCH) approximately 3-4 weeks before the start of a term, 3-5 days after the first day of a term, one week after the end of the drop/add period, and then once every 30 days. Schedule changes that alter a student’s enrollment status (full time/part time) will be reflected in accordance with this transmission schedule.

To obtain an enrollment verification

Enrollment verification PDFs are provided on demand via the NSCH.

  1. Log into the Portal
  2. Click MyUArtsRecord from the Launchpad located on the left of the screen and continue into the Students area.
  3. From the Students Menu, choose the option for Transcript & Enrollment Verification Requests. 
  4. On the next page, follow the link to Click here for the NSCH Self_service Portal.
  5. Select an enrollment verification type: 
    • Current enrollment: Includes enrollment for the current term only. Available approximately 20 days prior to the start of a term for students.
    • All enrollment: Includes enrollment for all terms. Enrollment data for an upcoming term is available approximately 20 days prior to the start of the term. Current and previous term enrollment is always available.
    • Advanced registration: Advanced registration certificates are available for the fall semester only and can be accessed from late May through early August each year. Advanced registration certificates include coursework for which a student is registered and are provided as a service to students before an official enrollment verification can be generated. Loan servicers, insurance carriers, and other organizations may not accept an advanced registration certificate.
  6. After making your selection, click the link above the buttons to “Obtain an enrollment certificate.”
Policy: Enrollment Verification Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA Overview

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, sets forth requirements regarding the privacy of student records.

FERPA governs:

  • The disclosure of education records maintained by the University.
  • Access to these records.

Who must comply with FERPA?

Any educational institution (school or other entity that provides educational services and is attended by students) or educational agency (entity that administers schools directly linked to it) that receive funds under any program administered by the U.S. Secretary of Education.

What does FERPA require for universities to be in compliance?

  • Institutions must notify students annually of their FERPA rights.
  • Ensure students’ rights to inspect and review their education records.
  • Ensure students’ rights to request to amend their education records.
  • Ensure students’ rights to limit disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in education records.
  • Notify third parties of the redisclosure prohibition of personally identifiable information (except under a few circumstances).
  • Keep records of requests for and disclosure of student education records.

Who has FERPA rights at the postsecondary level?

  • FERPA rights belong to the student at a postsecondary institution regardless of age.
  • Student applies to all students - including continuing education students, students auditing a class, distance education students, and former students.
  • In attendance, is defined as the day that a student first attends a class at the institution.

What FERPA rights are given to students?

What are education records under FERPA?

  • Education records are defined as records that are:
    • Directly related to a student, and
    • Maintained by an educational agency or institution, if certain conditions are met.
  • Education records are not: sole possession records, law enforcement unit records, employment records, medical records, or post-attendance records.

To whom, and under what condition, can the university disclose personally identifiable information?

  • Anyone, if the university has obtained the prior written consent of the student.
  • Anyone, in response to requests for directory information (information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed)
  • Authorized representative of the following government entities, if the disclosure is in connection with an audit or evaluation of federal or state supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with federal legal requirements that relate to those programs:
    • Comptroller General of the U.S.
    • Secretary of Education
    • U.S. Attorney General (for law enforcement purposes only)
  • State and local education authorities
  • School official determined by the institution to have legitimate educational interest
  • Agents acting on behalf of the institution (e.g. contractors, consultants)
  • Schools in which the students seeks or intends to enroll (additional conditions exist)
  • A party, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or an employer, providing financial aid to the student (‘financial aid’ does not include any payments made by parents); (additional conditions exist)
  • Organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of educational institutions (additional conditions exist)
  • Accrediting organizations for accreditation purposes
  • Parents when their student (under 21) is found to have violated the alcohol or drug policy of the University.
  • To comply with a judicial order or subpoena, including ex parte orders under the USA Patriot Act
  • Appropriate parties if a health or safety emergency exits and the information will assist in resolving the emergency (additional conditions exist)
  • The student
  • An alleged victim of a crime of violence when the disclosure is the result of a disciplinary hearing regarding the alleged perpetrator of that crime with respect to that crime
  • Anyone requesting the final results of a disciplinary hearing regarding the alleged perpetrator of that crime with respect to that crime
  • Anyone requesting the final results of a disciplinary hearing against an alleged perpetrator who has been found in violation of the campus code relating to a cri,e of violence or non-forcible sex offense
  • The Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs for purpose of complying with a request from ICE relative to the institution’s participation in SEVIS.
  • Military recruiters who request “Student Recruiting Information” for recruiting purposes only (Solomon Amendment). Students recruiting information is name, address, telephone listing, age (or year of birth), class level, major, degrees received, and most recent educational institution of enrollment. (conditions exist)
  • The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), for purposes of complying with the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.
  • Anyone, when the disclosure concerns information provided by sex offenders required to register under state or federal law.

How does technology impact FERPA guidelines?

The same principles of access and confidentiality must be applied to all media, including but not limited to, electronic data, email, video, and audio.

What happens if a university does not comply with FERPA?

The Department of Education may issue a notice to cease the non-compliance and could ultimately withhold funds administered by the Secretary of Education.

Where can I get more information regarding FERPA?

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

Phone: 202.260.3887
Fax: 202.260.9001
Email: ferpa@ed.gov
Web: www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco

Directory Information

The following is considered directory information at the University of the Arts and will be made available to the general public unless the student submits a petition to the Office of the Registrar requesting to withhold this information prior to the end of the last day of registration. The University does not release student lists to third parties.

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • E-mail address
  • Academic Program
  • Dates of attendance
  • Current enrollment status
  • Class standing
  • Last institution attended
  • Participation in officially recognized activities
  • Receipt or non-receipt of a degree
  • Academic awards received

Under the provisions of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 students have the right to withhold disclosure of directory information.

Students withholding directory information will have all such requests refused. For example, organizations such as potential employers, scholarship agencies, members of the press, loan agencies, educational organizations and others will not be given access to the student’s directory information, and will not be able to contact the student.

To Request Directory Information to be Withheld

A signed petition from the student is required to process this request.  Once processed directory information will not be released until a signed petition to rescind the request is received or until the student has deceased.

Inspection & Review of Education Records

The University’s procedures regarding the inspection and review of education records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) are as follows:

  • All students who are or have been in attendance at the University have the right to inspect and review their education records subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in FERPA and its related regulations, 20 U.S.C. § 1232g and 34 CFR Part 99.
  • Education records include all information maintained by the University that is directly related to a specific student. For this reason, academic calendars, course syllabi, general announcements, and other materials related generally to the germane academic program or course of study are not subject to FERPA review. Additionally, although students will have access to personal electronic data printed in an appropriate format, the University will not create custom documents, summaries, or reports from such systems or databases.
  • Education records belong the University and, although students have the right to review and request amendments as set forth below, students are not authorized to photocopy, photograph, or otherwise image or duplicate University records. Students may, however, take personal notes regarding their educational records.
  • A student’s medical records, are subject to strict confidentiality except as authorized by applicable law (e.g., HIPAA). Student medical records are not considered to be part of a student’s education records within the meaning of FERPA.
  • Parental statements of financial resources will remain confidential.
  • Personal notes written by a member of the faculty, an adviser, or other University employee concerning a student that are generated and maintained for the exclusive use of the writer are not considered part of the student’s education record under FERPA.
  • Access to education records will be provided within 45 days of having received a request.
  • If, after reviewing their educational records, a student believes that certain records encompassed by the request were not made available for inspection, the student should submit a follow-up request clarifying the additional records the student believes exist.

To Request to Inspect & Review Education Records

  1. Students must provide a signed and dated written consent to the Office of the Registrar :
    • Students with access to their University issued email account may submit requests via email to registrar@uarts.edu.
    • Student without access to their University issued email account must submit requests via post to:

      Office of the Registrar
      The University of the Arts
      320 South Broad Street
      Philadelphia, PA 19102.
  2. The written consent must include:
    1. the purpose of the review,
    2. the education record(s) being requested for review, and
    3. Identity of the person or person(s) to whom the disclosure may be made.
  3. If a student’s request is unclear or insufficiently specific, the Office of the Registrar will contact the student to assure that the appropriate records will be gathered for the student’s review.
  4. The Office of the Registrar will coordinate with relevant University offices to gather the requested records; will review the records to confirm that they are complete; and redact any FERPA-waived recommendations, information about other students subject to FERPA privacy obligations, or any other information protected from disclosure by FERPA or other applicable law.
  5. The representative will make arrangements with the student to inspect the records in person.
  6. Photographic identification must be presented prior to inspection & review.

Amendments to Education Records

Students may petition the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the Office of the Registrar , clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the University denies the amendment request, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing will be provided to the student when notified of the hearing.

Education Record Amendment Hearings

The University shall provide students, on request, an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the content of the student’s education records on the ground that the information contained in the education records is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the privacy rights of the student.

If, as a result of the hearing, the University determines that the information is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of the student, it shall amend the record accordingly and inform the student of the amendment in writing.

If, as a result of the hearing, the University determines that the information in the education record is not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of the student, it shall inform the student of the right to place a statement in the record commenting on the contested information in the record or stating why they disagree with the decision of the University.

If the University places a statement in the education records of a student, it shall maintain the statement with the contested part of the record for as long as the record is maintained and disclose the statement whenever it discloses the portion of the record to which the statement relates.

Policy: FERPA Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A

Preferred Name

The University recognizes that some students prefer to use a first name other than their official name of record to identify themselves. The University acknowledges that a preferred name can and should be used where possible so long as it is not for the purpose of misrepresentation. Any student may declare a preferred first name in addition to their official name of record. This policy applies only to first names, preferred surnames or family names cannot be declared. Preferred names are limited to alphabetical characters, a hyphen (-), and a space.

The University will attempt to display preferred first name to the University community where feasible and appropriate and make a good faith effort to update systems accordingly. Preferred names will be used on class rosters, commencement programs, e-mail alias, faculty grade rosters, the learning management system, library systems, and the UArts student ID. The student’s official name of record will remain unchanged in all university-related systems and most reports.

Preferred names will not be used in cases where the official name of record is required, including, but not limited to diplomas, enrollment verifications, financial aid documents, medical records, paychecks, payroll records, and transcripts. Students who wish to change their official name of record must follow the Change of Name policy, submitting official documentation directly to the Office of the Registrar.

Students are only permitted to select one preferred name during their entire career at UArts. A student can return to their official name of record at any time.

To request a preferred name

  1. Submit a Change of Preferred Name form located on the Student Forms & Requests page on the UArts portal.
  2. Requests are typically processed within 5-10 business days. A request may be submitted at anytime. Students should when possible submit requests two weeks prior to the start of a term to ensure requests are processed before the term begins.
  3. Once a form has been processed an email confirmation will automatically be sent to the student.

Disclaimer: This policy does not form a contract of any kind and may be modified, changed, altered, or rescinded at the discretion of the University. The University reserves the right to deny or remove any preferred name for misuse, including but not limited to misrepresentation, attempting to avoid legal obligation, or the use of highly offensive or derogatory names, with or without notice.

1  One replacement student ID will be produced at no charge for students who declare a preferred name.

Policy: Preferred Name Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A

Replacement Diploma

If your diploma has been lost, you may request a replacement. Replacement diplomas are produced using current diploma stock, formatting, and include the signatures of current University Officials. Former diploma formats cannot be reproduced. Requests will be processed in 5-10 business days. A $50 fee is charged for each replacement diploma.

To request a replacement diploma

  1. Compose a written request, including the following:
    • Name under which you attended the University or any predecessor institutions
    • Current address and telephone number
    • Last four digits of your social security number
    • Date of birth
    • Last date of attendance
    • Major/Degree program
    • Address where diploma is to be sent
    • Signed, notarized letter indicating that the original has been lost
  2. Requests, including payment, can be submitted in person to the Office of the Registrar, or mailed to:

    ​The Office of the Registrar
    Attention: Associate Registrar
    The University of the Arts
    320 S. Broad Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    Diploma Production Schedule
Policy: Replacement Diploma Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A

Transcript Requests

The Office of the Registrar produces transcripts for all Graduate and Undergraduate Programs, Continuing Education, Professional Institute for Educators and Non-matriculated Coursework. In order to process a transcript request, the student’s account must be in good financial standing. 

All requests are processed within 1-2 business days and then sent by whichever delivery method is requested.

Official Transcripts

For your convenience and security, all transcript requests must be made online through the National Student Clearinghouse. From this site, students will be able to order transcripts using a variety of services, securely pay for the transcript, and electronically sign the consent release. The ordering process takes about 10 minutes to complete and students will receive emailed updates when your order is fulfilled. 

Transcript services include:

  • Electronic PDF Transcript: This is the fastest and most convenient delivery method. Students are able to request an electronic transcript, save it to their computer and forward it to as many recipients as needed. Please see the Clearinghouse help page on browser support and viewing official PDF transcripts - Adobe Reader may be required to view official PDF transcripts. Students who attended prior to 1994 will not be able to request an electronic transcript.
  • Paper Transcript: Students can request paper transcripts to be picked-up in the Office of the Registrar or mailed by the US Postal Service. Delivery times vary by location.
  • Paper Transcript, UPS Service (Domestic): Once processed, paper transcripts will be sent via UPS and are typically delivered within 1-2 business days, depending on the location of the recipient.
  • Paper Transcript, FedEx Service (International) - Once processed, paper transcripts will be sent via FedEx and are typically delivered within 2-5 business days, depending on the location of the recipient. 

To request an official transcript

Unofficial Transcripts

Current degree-seeking students can view and print their unofficial transcripts through the Self Service Student Planning module. Once logged in, click on the “Student Planning” menu at the top of the page and then select “Unofficial Transcript”. You will be able to download a PDF immediately. 

Unofficial transcripts can also be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. While we do not charge a fee for unofficial transcripts, we do still require a written request with the student’s authorizing signature. 

Policy: Transcript Requests Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A

Transcripts & Score Reports from External Institutions & Organizations

Copies of transcripts, score reports, and other documents from external institutions and organizations will not be released to a student. The University of the Arts, along with most colleges and university, will not copy transcripts from other institutions.

Policy: Transcripts from External Institutions Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar   Policy Last Revised: N/A