Aug 24, 2019  
2008-2009 University Catalogue 
2008-2009 University Catalogue [Archived Catalogue]

Graduate Student Policies




Please note that unless indicated below, graduate students are bound by the policies and practices that apply to all UArts students, especially as noted elsewhere in this catalog.

Full-time Status

  ^ TOP

Graduate students are considered full time if enrolled in at least nine credits per semester, with the exception of students enrolled in the Summer MFA program who are considered full-time if enrolled in at least 4.5 credits during the Fall and Spring semesters as per their program requirements. Tuition for part time graduate students is charged on a per-credit basis.

Graduate Transfer Credit

  ^ TOP

A maximum of six credits of graduate credit may be transferred and applied toward the graduate degree requirements upon approval of the program director. All transfer credits must be graduate-level classes or upper-level undergraduate classes taken for graduate credit at an accredited college or university, approved by the Registrar and the Graduate Director, and must be a “B” or higher grade.

Graduate Independent Study

  ^ TOP

Independent study by graduate students is governed by the policies listed above with the following exception:

The course number for graduate independent study is the department code (the course advisor’s department) and course number, e.g., GRPR 690.

Student Classification and Course Load

  ^ TOP

A student’s class status is determined by the number of credits earned, regardless of the number of semesters of enrollment or the student’s standing in his or her major program. Class status is a factor in determining financial aid eligibility and is one indicator of academic progress. Class standing is also used to prioritize scheduling during registration.

Graduate status is determined as follows:

     G1      completion of up to 17.5 credits

completion of 18 or more credits

Graduate Courses for Undergraduate Credit (link) 

  ^ TOP

Graduate Students Enrolled in an Undergraduate Course

  ^ TOP

Graduate students may register for undergraduate liberal arts courses or studio courses (with permission of the graduate director and Dean of Liberal Arts) for graduate credit through the Graduate Topics mechanism. In order to register, students choose one of the graduate-level course numbers from the list below or, if the course is not listed complete a Graduate Topics form, available through the Office of the Registrar. Students are advised to select an area of study that broadens or intensifies their background in the arts, education, and related disciplines. Often this work contributes directly to preparation of the graduate project proposal.


 ^ TOP

Course Numbers for Graduate Students to use when taking Undergraduate courses for Graduate credit

GRAN*332 Storyboarding GRMT*322 Advanced Metals
GRAN*333 Advanced 3D Character Animation GRPH*322 Photojournalism
GRCM*311 Advanced Throwing GRPR*302 Printmaking Workshop
GRCM*312 Advanced Throwing GRPR*304 Book Arts: Concept and Structure
GRCM*313 Advanced Ceramics GRPR*305 Lithography
GRCM*314 Advanced Ceramics GRPR*314 Advanced Non-Silver
GRFA*312 Site-Specific Projects GRPR*321 Advanced Lithography
GRFB*311 Advanced Fibers Mixed Media GRPR*323 Intro to Offset Lithography
GRFB*312 Advanced Fibers Mixed Media GRPR*324 Advanced Offset Lithography
GRFB*322 Advanced Textile Design GRPR*434 Book Production
GRGD*311 Typographic Systems GRPR*481 Collaborative Printmaking
GRGD*312 Typographic Systems GRPT*301 Junior Painting
GRGD*331 Photographs I GRPT*302 Junior Painting
GRGD*336 Visualizing Information GRPT*303 Color Studies
GRGD*411 Advanced Typography GRPT*304 Junior Drawing
GRGL*311 Advanced Glass GRPT*403 Drawing References
GRIL*202 Illustration Methods GRPT*404 Drawing References
GRIL*301 Illustration Methods GRPT*411 Senior Drawing
GRIL*302 Illustration Methods GRSC*331 Carving
GRIL*312 Figure Utilization GRSC*363 Medallic Sculpture
GRIL*320 Design Methods GRSC*364 Installation and Performance
GRIL*321 Figurative Communication GRSC*411 Advanced Figure Modeling
GRIL*322 Sequential Format GRSC*412 Advanced Figure Modeling
GRIL*380 Children’s Book Illustration GRSC*413 Projects in Figure Modeling
GRIL*480 Communication Workshop GRSC*421 Advanced Projects
GRMA*443 Time: A Multidisciplinary Seminar GRSC*422 Advanced Projects
GRMT*311 Advanced Jewelry/Metals GRSC*433 Metals
GRMT*312 Advanced Jewelry/Metals GRWD*311 Advanced Wood
GRMT 321 Advanced Metals GRWD*321 Advanced Furniture
    GRWD*322 Advanced Furniture

Graduate Topics Course numbers and departments

When no graduate number exists for an undergraduate course graduate students should use the Graduate Topics numbers below.  Choose the course number based on it’s home department.

Course #
Course Home department
GRAE*699 Topics: Art Education Art Education
GRAT*699 Topics: Art Therapy Art Therapy
GRCM*699 Topics: Communication Communication
GRDA*699 Topics: Dance Dance
GRGD*699 Topics: Graphic Design Grapic Design
GRCR*699 Topics: Crafts Crafts
GREM*699 Topics: Electronic Media Electronic Media
GRFA*699 Topics: Fine Arts Fine Arts
GRID*699 Topics: Industrial Design Industrial Design
GRLA*699 Topics: Liberal Arts Liberal Arts
GRIL*699 Topics: Illustration Illustration
GRMA*699 Topics: Media Arts Media Arts
GRMM*699 Topics: Multimedia Multimedia
GRMU*699 Topics: Music Music
GRPR*699 Topics: Printmaking Printmaking
GRPT*699 Topics: Painting Painting
GRSC*699 Topics: Sculpture Sculpture
GRTH*699 Topics: Theater Theater
GRWM*699 Topics: Writing Writing
Graduate students taking undergraduate courses should register for the course using the above numbers.  They should choose the Graduate Topics number based on the department where the course resides. Example: students taking CRGL*211 Intro to Glass Blowing would register for GRCR*699.


Graduate Grade-Point Average Requirements

A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for good standing and for graduation for graduate students. If a student is unable to achieve a semester or cumulative GPA of 3.0, he or she will be placed on probation. If a 3.0 GPA and/or other conditions are not attained by the following semester, the student may be dismissed from the program. While on Probation, a student will be ineligible to hold a graduate assistantship or to receive a University supplemental grant-in-aid or scholarship.

Thesis Grading

  ^ TOP

The grade of “IP” (“In Progress”) signifies that the student is making satisfactory progress toward completing the graduate thesis. This grade will apply only to graduate thesis courses where the student’s thesis is still in progress.

This grade is available only for the following courses:

AEDU    695      Graduate Project/Thesis
MSEM   782   Thesis Development
MSEM   784   Thesis: Museum Communication
GRID   780   Master’s Thesis Documentation
GRFA   785   MFA Thesis Exhibition
MUPF   680   Graduate Project/Recital

An “IP” grade acknowledges the fact that the final course product (thesis) may require some period of time past the semester of registration to complete. The “IP” grade will remain on the student’s record until a final thesis grade is submitted by the instructor. In some cases, a student will be registered for thesis courses as a sequence (e.g., MSEM 781/B). When the final grade is submitted by the instructor, it will replace the “IP” grade. The “IP” grade is not computed in the grade-point average.

In order to remain in good standing while the thesis is “in progress,” the student must register for the thesis continuation fee for each semester he or she is not enrolled in coursework.

Graduate Project/Thesis Continuation Fee

  ^ TOP

A student who has completed all the course requirements for the master’s degree and is currently working on the graduate thesis, either on or off-campus, must register and pay a graduate thesis continuation fee of .5 credits per semester calculated at the per-credit cost for each semester of non-attendance until the thesis is completed and accepted. This registration, through the Office of the Registrar, is required in each succeeding semester, excluding the summer sessions, until all degree requirements are met. Students completing a degree in the summer must pay the thesis fee in the final summer semester.

Multiple Degrees

  ^ TOP
  1. A student who has completed one degree and wishes to matriculate in another does so by applying to the new program through the Office of Admission.
  2. A student may be awarded a particular degree from the University only once; i.e., once the student has earned an MA, he or she may not be awarded another MA.

Graduate Leave of Absence

  ^ TOP

A graduate student may take a Leave of Absence prior to the completion of all coursework, subject to approval by his/her program director, and in accordance with the policy described above. Graduate students may take a maximum of two one-semester Leave of Absence (may not be consecutive) throughout their course of study, whether in sequence or as needed. Once the thesis or Master of Music graduate project has begun and all coursework has been completed, graduate students are not eligible for a Leave of Absence. Students must register and pay for the thesis continuation fee for successive semesters and are not eligible for a Leave of Absence.

Graduate Degree Candidacy and Completion

  ^ TOP

Midway through the program, each graduate student’s progress in his/her discipline and thesis proposal will be reviewed by the appropriate Graduate Committee to formally determine whether a student becomes a degree candidate, and is ready to continue toward development and completion of the thesis or graduate project.

Graduate students have up to seven years from their date of matriculation to complete a two-year master’s program, and up to six years from matriculation date to complete a one-year program.

To be certified for a degree, a student must:

  • submit a Petition for Award of Degree to the Office of the Registrar;
  • fulfill all degree requirements;
  • satisfy the minimum residency requirements; and
  • achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of a 3.0 (“B” average).