Apr 19, 2019  
2008-2009 University Catalogue 
2008-2009 University Catalogue [Archived Catalogue]

Transfer Credit and Course Equivalency


Course Substitution
Credit by Portfolio/Audition
Credit from Non-accredited Institutions
Graduate Transfer Credit
Residency Requirements
Transfer of Credit


Transfer of Credit

  ^ TOP

Students may receive credit for courses taken at other accredited institutions that are similar in content, purpose, and standards to those offered at The University of the Arts. A minimum grade of “C” in a course is required for consideration for transfer credit. Only credits are transferable, not grades.

Candidates are given a preliminary transfer credit evaluation at the time of admission; final award of transfer credit and placement level are subject to receipt of final official transcripts and verification by the registrar at the time of enrollment.

Credit from Nonaccredited Institutions

  ^ TOP

Based on the applicant’s portfolio or audition, credit may be awarded at the time of admission by the department chairperson/director of the intended major. The maximum number of credits awarded may not exceed the number of credits earned at the nonaccredited institution (as adjusted to conform with the University’s credit evaluation policies). These credits may be assigned to fulfill specific requirements of The University of the Arts degree as agreed upon by the department chair/director and the Registrar.

Non-Accredited Study Abroad:
Students are encouraged to pursue study through programs that are affiliated with accredited U.S. Colleges or Universities. Coursework from non-accredited institutions may not be eligible for transfer and cannot be approved in advance.  Students must apply for a Leave of Absence from the University.  See the Office of the Registrar for more information.

Students studying abroad may be required to have international transcripts evaluated for equivalent U.S. credit before transfer credit can be awarded.  Applicable fees are the responsibility of the student.  A full evaluation may be obtained from the following agencies:

Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI)
PO Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
website: www.acei1.com

World Education Services
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
website: www.wes.org

Credit by Portfolio/Audition

  ^ TOP

A maximum of 18 credits may be granted to applicants by portfolio review or audition for artistic experience independent of any coursework. Credit by portfolio or audition is granted only for work done prior to matriculation at The University of the Arts.

  • Academic standing and course credit based on portfolio review are determined by the appropriate department chairperson/director during the admission process. This portfolio work cannot have been part of the assigned work for a secondary or post-secondary course.
  • Audition credit requires the approval of the Audition Committee and the school director. Academic standing and course credit based on the audition are determined during the admission process.

Graduate Transfer Credit


Information pertaining to graduate transfer credit can be found in the Graduate Student Policies section. 


Course Substitutions

  ^ TOP

Occasionally a student may not be able to enroll in the exact course required for the degree program, or the department may recommend an alternate course to better suit a specific academic goal. In these cases, the student is to request an approval for a course substitution from the department chairperson or program director. The director/chair lists the required course and the approved substitution on the form. After completion the department chairperson or program director submits the form to the Office of the Registrar for processing.


Residency Requirements

  ^ TOP

The time it takes for a student to reach graduation will depend upon the time needed to fulfill The University of the Arts’ degree requirements.

Every transfer student must complete a minimum of four full-time semesters in residence preceding graduation and must earn a minimum of 48 credits in studio and/or Liberal Arts courses. Transferable credits will be applied only to the requirements stipulated for a UArts degree. For this reason, transfer students may be required to remain in residence at the University for more than the minimum four semesters and to complete more than the minimum 48 credits, regardless of the number of credits earned at previously attended institutions. Transfer credit is evaluated by the department chair or school director and the Dean of Liberal Arts in consultation with the Office of the Registrar.