Nov 26, 2020  
2009-2010 University Catalogue 
2009-2010 University Catalogue [Archived Catalogue]

Enrollment and Registration




  • Registration occurs prior to each semester, for the fall semester in April, and for the spring semester in November.
  • In preparing for registration, students consult with their faculty advisors, who help them assemble schedules for the semester and who give final approval to all course selections.
  • The meeting with the faculty advisor does not constitute registration. Instead, it is the student’s responsibility to register either online or in person for the course selections listed on their advising form.
  • Once the drop/add period has ended at the beginning of a semester, all students participating in the course, whether enrolled for credit or audit, must be officially registered.
  • Students who are not officially registered for the course will not be permitted to attend.


Late Registration

A late-registration fee of $35 will be charged to any student who has not completed registration by the first day of term. Late registration may jeopardize a student’s chance of obtaining his/her desired course schedule.


Place Holder Credits

During registration some students have trouble finding courses that fit in their schedules. As a result, they may not be able to register for the 12-credit minimum (nine credits for graduate students) necessary to maintain full-time status. In order to allow such students to pick up a course(s) during the Drop/Add period and thereby maintain their full-time status for Financial Aid purposes, a “place holder” is added to the student’s registration. It is presumed that the student will find an additional course during the Drop/Add period that takes place during the first 10 days of the semester. Prior to the beginning of the Drop/Add period, each student who has a place holder will be reminded, via email, to register for the additional course(s). If the student does not register for additional coursework by the end of Drop/Add, the place holder will be deleted. At that time, a list of non-full-time students in this status will be generated for the Student Billing Office and Financial Aid Offices for review. This may cause changes in status of the financial aid award and student bill. Under no circumstances will a place holder remain on the registration form after the Drop/Add period ends.


Matriculated Students

  ^ TOP

Matriculated students are those who have applied, been accepted, and enrolled in a degree program at The University of the Arts during the semester for which they were admitted. Course credits completed prior to matriculation at the University will not necessarily be accepted into the degree programs. In no case will more than six credits taken as a non-matriculated student at The University of the Arts be accepted into the degree program. Students seeking degrees may enroll for part-time or full-time study.


Non-matriculated Students

  ^ TOP

A student who takes classes in a major department but is not enrolled in a degree program at The University of the Arts and has not submitted an application to the Office of Admission qualifies as a non-matriculated student.

Non-matriculated status provides opportunity to study with a specific professor, or pursue additional college-level instruction for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree.

Non-matriculated students may enroll for a maximum of 11.5 credits per semester and may not audit any classes.

Students who subsequently enroll in a University of the Arts degree program may apply a maximum of six credits taken as a nonmatriculated student to their degree at the discretion of the department director/chair. Non-matriculating students who are simultaneously enrolled or have plans to enroll at another institution may transfer credits to that institution if they have received prior approval in writing from that institution.

To enroll as a non-matriculated student, please contact the Office of the Registrar. Non-matriculated students must request permission from the department chairperson or director for each course in which they wish to enroll. Please be advised that there are no payment plans or financial aid opportunities for non-matriculated students, and access is dependent upon the availability of space in their desired program. Non-matriculated students are otherwise governed by all the rules and regulations that apply to matriculated students, including submission of proof of high school graduation prior to enrollment.


Full-time Credit Load/Overloads

  ^ TOP

Full-time undergraduate students are defined as those who are enrolled in at least 12 credits a semester. Students wishing to take more than 18 credits in a semester must obtain permission from the dean of their college. Factors such as grade point average and progress in meeting degree requirements will be considered in giving permission for an overload; students are expected to be in good standing and have a 3.0 GPA. Students seeking approval to register for an excess of 18 credits must complete the Request for Overload Approval form and submit it to the Office of the Dean, of their college, for approval. Please note that excess credits are subject to additional charges at the standard credit rate. Registration as Audit or Pass/Fail is counted the same as all other academic credit for the purpose of determining tuition.

Graduate students are considered full time if enrolled in at least nine credits per term.

International students must maintain full-time status.


Full-time Status - Graduate Students

  ^ TOP

Graduate students are considered full time if enrolled in at least nine credits per semester, with the exception of students enrolled in the Summer MFA program who are considered full time if enrolled in at least 4.5 credits during the fall and spring semesters as per their program requirements. Tuition for part-time graduate students is charged on a per-credit basis.


Student Class Level and Course Load

  ^ TOP

A student’s class status is determined by the number of credits earned, regardless of the number of semesters of enrollment or the student’s standing in his or her major program. Class status is a factor in determining financial aid eligibility and is one indicator of academic progress. Class standing is also used to prioritize scheduling during registration.

Undergraduate class status is determined as follows:
         U1      up to 29.5 credits
  U2   30 - 59.5 credits
  U3   60 - 89.5 credits
  U4   90 - 123 credits
  U5   more than 123 credits
Graduate status is determined as follows:
  G1   up to 17.5 credits
  G2   18 or more credits

Auditing a Course

  ^ TOP

Audited courses are an excellent mechanism for students to refresh their skills and/or understanding of a topic without the pressure of pursuing a grade. Audited courses carry no credit and do not satisfy degree requirements. An audited course may not be repeated for credit. Therefore, students may not audit a required course unless the course requirement has already been satisfactorily met as dictated by their degree requirements. Regular tuition rates are charged for audited courses, and they are included in the full-time tuition charge. Audited courses will be indicated on the transcript with a grade of “AU” and may be registered for until the end of the Drop/Add period.


Credit Duplication

  ^ TOP

No course, including graduate courses, that has satisfied undergraduate degree requirements may be counted again for graduate credit.


Graduate Topics Course numbers

Information for Graduate Topics Course number can be found in Graduate Student Policies. 


Multiple Degrees

  ^ TOP
  1. A student who has completed one degree and wishes to matriculate in another does so by applying to the new program through the Office of Admission.
  2. A student may be awarded a particular degree from the University only once; i.e., once the student has earned an MA, he or she may not be awarded another MA.
  3. A student may not receive two different master’s degrees from the same program; i.e., he or she cannot pursue both the MA in Art Education and MAT in Visual Arts.
  4. A student may earn up to two master’s degrees at the University, either simultaneously or sequentially.
  5. If a student is approved for a double degree, and six credits are shared between the two programs, the student may transfer a maximum of six additional credits from an accredited institution.
  6. Students in the Summer MFA program who wish to pursue a second graduate degree will be charged the regular graduate tuition rate in the semesters in which they are pursuing two degrees.


Undergraduates Enrolled for Graduate Credit

  ^ TOP

A student in the final year of the bachelor’s degree program may take a maximum of six credits of graduate courses toward a master’s degree, subject to all of the following conditions:

  1. The student must have completed the Junior level of the major.
  2. The graduate credits must be over and above the credits required for the bachelor’s degree and may not be applied to that degree.
  3. The student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better.
  4. Permission is granted by the department chairperson/director and dean of the college.
  5. No more than a total of six credits, taken either as a UArts undergraduate or non-matriculated student, or taken at another college or university, may be applied to the graduate program.


Schedule Revision—Drop/Add

  ^ TOP

Beginning with the first week of the semester, students who have obtained Student Billing Office clearance may revise their schedules without academic penalty until the end of the Drop/Add period. The Drop/Add period takes place during the first 10 days of classes each semester in accordance with the Academic Calendar. 


Leave of Absence

  ^ TOP

There are two types of Leave of Absence, Medical and General.

Medical Leave of Absence

 ^ TOP

A Medical Leave of Absence is granted to students who wish to apply for a leave due to a medical condition and must be approved by the Dean of Students. An approved Medical Leave of Absence indicates that a student may return to classes at the end of his/her leave once appropriate medical documentation has been received and verified by the Dean of Students.

General Leave of Absence


 A General Leave of Absence is granted to students who wish to take time away from school for personal reasons of a non-medical nature.


A student may request either type of Leave of Absence by obtaining a Leave of Absence Form, available in the Office of the Registrar. Only students in good academic standing may request a Leave of Absence. Undergraduate students who maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative and semester grade point average (GPA) are considered to be in good standing. A leave may be granted only for one semester within a 12-month period, with approval granted by the Dean of the appropriate college for a general leave, and by the Dean of Students for a Medical leave. If a student plans to be away for two consecutive semesters, a leave cannot be granted and the student must instead withdraw from the University and apply for readmission at the time they wish to return. Students who have withdrawn, but seek readmission within no more than two semesters will receive priority consideration for readmission over those students who have been separated from the University for a longer period of time.

A leave of absence for a semester already in progress will not be granted after the tenth week of the semester. If a student wishes to leave prior to the end of the tenth week and the request is approved, he/she may withdraw from the current semester courses, with the leave taking effect in the current semester only. In this instance, the student will be subject to the grading, withdrawal periods, and withdrawal refund policies listed elsewhere in this catalog. If a student wishes to depart after the tenth week of the semester, he/she must withdraw from the University.

For both leaves the “effective date” is the date of separation from the University that will be noted on the transcript. The effective date for the leave of absence is the date the form is obtained from the Office of the Registrar. The Dean of Students may override this date based on the history of a student’s medical condition for a Medical leave of absence, when deemed appropriate.

A student may return before the expiration of the leave by indicating his/her intention to do so in writing to the Office of the Registrar.

If the student does not register for the term following the leave’s expiration, but wishes to resume his/her studies at a later date, the student must apply for readmission following the reapplication guidelines in this catalog.

If a student is granted a leave of absence for a future semester, but is subsequently placed on probation for the current semester, the leave of absence will be converted to a withdrawal. The student will be notified, in writing, of his/her conversion to “withdrawn” status by the Office of the Registrar. Students who are converted to a “withdrawn” status must apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar in accordance with the policies described in this catalog.

The following is required to obtain a leave of absence:

   1. The student obtains a Request for leave of absence Form from the Office of the Registrar.
   2. The student obtains approval from his/her department chair/director.
   3. The Student submits the form to the college dean to request a General leave of absence and to the Dean of Students for a Medical leave of absence for approval.
   4. After the leave of absence approvals are obtained, the student submits the completed form to the Office of the Registrar for processing and coding. A copy of the form will then be distributed to the student and the Deans.

Graduate Leave of Absence

This information is located in the Graduate Student Policy section. 

Additional Notes Regarding Leave of Absence for Graduate Students
A graduate student may take a leave of absence prior to the completion of all coursework, subject to approval by his/her program director, and in accordance with the policy described above. Graduate students may take a maximum of two one-semester leaves of absence throughout their course of study, whether in sequence or as needed. Once the thesis or Master of Music graduate project has begun and all coursework has been completed, graduate students are not eligible for a leave of absence. Students must register and pay for the thesis continuation fee for successive semesters and are not eligible for a leave of absence. 


Withdrawal from a Course


A student may withdraw from a course with a “W” (Withdrawal) grade from the last day of the Drop/Add period through the last day of the tenth week of the semester. The withdrawal form must be signed by the student’s advisor and submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the deadline.

After the end of the tenth week a “W” grade is possible only under unusual circumstances such as an accident or severe illness, which must be documented. Permission to withdraw under such unusual circumstances must be given by the instructor and the Office of the Dean of Students.

A student who wishes to withdraw from all classes must initiate an official Withdrawal or leave of absence from the University as outlined in this catalog below.

If a student withdraws from all classes and does not officially withdraw from the University or take a leave of absence, he/she may be administratively withdrawn from the University or dismissed in accordance with Academic Review policies.


Withdrawal from the University

  ^ TOP

A student may withdraw from the University by initiating an official Withdrawal process with the Office of the Registrar. Students who withdraw prior to the beginning of the fall, spring or summer semesters, or prior to the end of the Drop/Add period, do so without academic penalty.

Official Withdrawals after the Drop/Add period, but prior to the end of the tenth week of the respective fall or spring semester or second week of the respective summer session, will result in the notation of the grade “W” (Withdrawal) for all courses.

Students are not permitted to withdraw without academic penalty from the University after the end of the tenth week of a fall or spring semester or second week of a summer session, except when non-academic extenuating circumstances exist, in which case documentation (by a physician or a counseling professional) must be presented and approval of the appropriate Dean must be obtained.

Students who have withdrawn and who wish to resume their studies at a later date must submit a Reapplication Form to the Office of the Registrar, in accordance with application deadlines, and pay the readmission fee.

The following procedure should be followed to obtain official Withdrawal from the University:

  1. The student obtains a Withdrawal from the University Form from the Office of the Registrar.
  2. If the student does so in person, the Office of the Registrar will advise the student to visit the Dean of Students.

If the student withdrawing from the University is not physically on campus, the Office of the Registrar will accept a letter signed by the student or an email from the student’s UArts email account. After processing the withdrawal, appropriate departments will be notified.

Non-attendance in classes or non-payment of tuition does not constitute grounds for withdrawal. The University does not recognize non-attendance in classes or non-payment of tuition as the equivalent of withdrawal. If the student has not officially withdrawn, and does not attend classes, he/she will be administratively withdrawn prior to the next semester. 


Hardship Consideration

  ^ TOP

A student who experiences extraordinary, unforeseeable circumstances beyond his or her control may file a request to be granted a retroactive withdrawal from the University. A committee comprised of members of the academic, financial, and student affairs functions of the University renders decisions on such hardship requests on a periodic basis. Hardships under consideration by the committee typically fall into one of two categories: a major health crisis in the life of the student or a death or catastrophic illness in a student’s immediate family.

Students granted a retroactive withdrawal due to an extraordinary hardship are granted ‘W’ grades in all classes for the given semester. It is important to note that the effective date of a student’s withdrawal and the unique details of that student’s financial aid and payments to date will determine the degree to which the student’s tuition and housing charges can be refunded. In the event that the University grants a retroactive withdrawal, the University is required to refund all federal aid that was received on the student’s behalf for the given semester. Therefore, any student who receives a tuition refund check for overpayment in the semester for which they are seeking a retroactive withdrawal must be aware that any and all distributed moneys will be rescinded as a result of the retroactive withdrawal, and thus may require repayment.

A hardship request must be filed with the Dean of Students no later than the end of the semester following the semester in question and must include the following:

  • Application for Hardship Status: this form is available on the portal and in the Student Affairs Center in Gershman Hall.
  • Personal Statement of Hardship: the student must submit a narrative account of his or her hardship conveying accurate details including relevant dates and a description of how the circumstances impacted the courses in which he or she was enrolled at the time.
  • Supporting documentation from official, qualified professionals: type-written correspondence on official office letterhead from a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist or other relevant, objective, licensed healthcare professionals must accompany the hardship request. The death of a parent/guardian requires submission of a death certificate and/or published obituary.

 To appeal a decision made by the committee, the student must submit all related materials to the Provost within 90 days of the decision.



  ^ TOP

Written appeal for reinstatement as a degree candidate requires submission of a completed Reapplication form, available in the Office of the Registrar, and a payment of a $50.00 reapplication fee by June 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester. Appropriate deans, departmental chairpersons/directors, and the Student Billing Office must endorse the readmission prior to registration. The major department reserves the right to require transcripts, letters of recommendation, an additional portfolio review, or audition. Credit for courses taken seven or more years prior to the date of readmission will be re-evaluated in conjunction with degree programs currently offered. Academic units may choose not to accept courses regardless of when they were completed for credit toward the degree. Final determination on the reapplication will be made by the dean of the college. A decision on readmission applies only to the semester listed on the reapplication. If the student is accepted and does not return for that semester, the student must reapply.

In the event of dismissal, an application for readmission will not be entertained until a full academic year has elapsed. Readmitted students will carry the cumulative GPA that was in place at the completion of the last semester attended at UArts. Please also note that previous censure from the Academic Review Committee will apply to all readmitted students.