Dec 05, 2020  
2011-2012 University Catalogue 
2011-2012 University Catalogue [Archived Catalogue]

Grading Policies

« Return to Academic Policies 

Grading System 

A 4.00 B- 2.67 D+ 1.33
A- 3.67 C+ 2.33 D 1.00
B+ 3.33 C 2.00 F 0.00
B 3.00 C- 1.67    

Grades not included in computing grade point averages:

I Incomplete AU Audit
IP In Progress (Graduate Thesis Only) P Pass
NC No Credit T Transfer Credit
W Withdrawal X Credit by Examination
OP Optional Pass (Grade of C or better) Z Preliminary
OF Optional Fail (Grade less than C)    


Thesis Grading

The grade of IP (“In Progress”) signifies that the student is making satisfactory progress toward completing the graduate thesis. This grade will apply only to graduate thesis courses where the student’s thesis is still in progress.

This grade is available only for the following courses:

AEDU 695 Graduate Project/Thesis
MSEM 781 Thesis Development
MSEM 782 Thesis Development
MSEM 784 Thesis: Museum Communication
GRID 780 Master’s Thesis Documentation
GRFA 785 MFA Thesis Exhibition
MUPF 680 Graduate Project/Recital

An IP grade acknowledges the fact that the final course product (thesis) may require some period of time past the semester of registration to complete. The IP grade will remain on the student’s record until a final thesis grade is submitted by the instructor. In some cases, a student will be registered for thesis courses as a sequence (e.g., MSEM 781). When the final grade is submitted by the instructor, it will replace the IP grade. The IP grade is not computed in the grade point average.

In order to remain in good standing while the thesis is “in progress,” the student must register for the thesis continuation fee for each semester he or she is not enrolled in coursework.

Repeating Courses

When a course is repeated, the original grade will remain on the transcript, but will be removed from the calculation of the grade point average. The most recent grade will enter into the calculation of the grade point average – even if it is lower than the grade originally earned. A grade for a course taken at the University of the Arts may not be replaced by a grade from a course taken at another institution. Only credit is transferred from courses at other institutions, not the grades earned in those courses. Any successfully completed course can be applied to graduation requirement only once, no matter how many times it may be taken and passed.

This policy does not apply to courses that are designed as “repeatable for credit.” All grades for such courses will be calculated in the grade point average and will be applied to graduation requirements.

Students who earn an F grade or a grade below that minimum required by the program, are strongly advised to repeat the same course during the next term in which it is offered if they wish to have the failing grade replaced on their transcript. A student will be allowed to enroll in a course for a second time without conditions, regardless of the grade earned in the course previously. A student will not be allowed to re-enroll for a course for a third time without written permission of the appropriate College Dean.

This policy applies to courses taken Fall 2010 and forward.

Computing the Grade Point Average (GPA)

The GPA is computed by multiplying the number of credits earned for a course by the numerical value of the grade. The resulting figures from all courses for that semester are then totaled, and this figure is divided by the total number of credits attempted that semester. The grades of I, IP, NC, W, OP, OF, P, and AU are not entered in this computation.

Grade Change

A request for a change of grade is a form of an academic grievance. The full text of the Academic Grievance policy can be found in the Academic Standards section  of this Catalog . Please note that a student may request the assistance of any staff member of the University at any stage of the grievance process.

Students seeking a change of grade must submit a written request for a change of grade to the instructor no later than the end of the seventh week of the semester following the one in which the grade was given. Requests for a change of grade for graduated students must be submitted no later than three days after the last grades required to fulfill the degree requirements are posted.

Students and instructors are reminded that an instructor may change a grade only if an error occurred in computing or recording the final grade, or if re-evaluation of previously submitted work is warranted. Extra work, beyond that required of other class members during the period when the class met, or work handed in after the completion of the course, may not be offered as reasons for a grade change.

Any change of a final grade should be made by the course instructor, who should submit the signed Change of Grade form, including the signature of the appropriate dean, to the Office of the Registrar no later than the end of the semester following the one in which the grade was given.

Grade of Incomplete (“I”)

An incomplete grade may be granted only in extraordinary circumstances, either personal or academic, that prevent the student from completing coursework by the end of the semester. The grade I is given only when the completed portion of the student’s coursework is of a passing quality. To receive the grade of Incomplete, the student must obtain written approval on the Incomplete Form from the course instructor, and the Dean of the College or the Dean of Liberal Arts prior to the conclusion of the semester.

Incomplete grades not cleared by the end of the sixth week of the following semester will be automatically assigned the grade of F.

Incomplete Forms are available on or in person at the Office of the Registrar.

Students should review policies regarding the impact of Incomplete grades on Academic Censure in the Academic Standards  section.