2017-2018 University Catalogue [Archived Catalogue]
Film Design + Production, Bachelor of Fine Arts
Programs > Programs in the College of Art, Media & Design
Contacts Description Program Objectives Academic Plan Program Requirements
College of Art, Media & Design
School of Film
Liberal Arts Distribution
Nick Embree \ email@example.com \ 215.717.6426
Wendy Weinberg \ firstname.lastname@example.org \ 215.717.6305
The Film Design + Production BFA program is an exploration of the creative and artistic areas of production design involved in filmmaking. The program is intended to develop film artists such as Production Designers, Art Directors, and designers of Costumes, Sets, Lighting, and Sound.
The program introduces students to each of these artistic focus areas in film – costumes, sets, lighting, sound, and technical production. After this foundation in film production design, the program builds student experience and skills in one or two chosen areas through a series of practicum courses – mentored guidance for a set of realized film projects. The program is capped with a thesis project in the final year that involves realized production design work on a film project and thorough documentation and formal presentation of the artistic process and methods involved.
Graduates of the Film Design + Production program will:
- Understand the duties and functions of the various artists and technicians working in the film industry in production design roles (production designers, art directors, designers, film production staff members, etc.), and be able to perform professionally in one or more of these roles.
- Know and understand the history and development of film design and production and be able to identify, discuss, and apply the relevant styles, methods, and genres to new film projects.
- Be able to identify screenplay requirements and opportunities and to make creative, artistic, and strong production design choices to enhance work on a film project.
- Be proficient in finding, presenting, and applying visual and factual research in order to inform, describe, and develop creative ideas.
- Synthesize techniques and knowledge from multiple areas of production design to enhance a project (combining film design methods with those used in theater, for example).
- Be able to present, discuss, and negotiate between production design proposals to arrive at a collaborative and integrated project proposal, and to carry out the resulting project as effective members of the creative team.
Academic plans provide a semester by semester suggested course sequence. Plans can be customized through discussions with academic advisors.
Program Requirements (127 credits)
From CAMD Core Studies (9 credits)
Program Requirements (47.5 credits)
Discipline History (9 credits)
Liberal Arts Distribution (33 credits)
First Year Writing (6 credits)
Humanities Seminar (3 credits)
- Select 1 course from subject HUMS
Period Interpretation (6 credits)
- Select 1 course from subject PIPT
- Select 1 course from subject PITC
Scientific Inquiry Foundation Track (3 credits)
- Select 1 course from subject SIFT
Liberal Arts Electives (15 credits)
- Select courses from subjects:
- AHST (Art History), HIST (History)
- ARAB (Arabic), FRCH (French), ITAL (Italian), LITT (Literature)
- PHIL (Philosophy), RELI (Religion)
- MATH (Math), SCIE (Science)
- ANTH (Anthropology), PHIL (Philosophy), PSYC (Psychology), SOCI (Sociology)
- STCU (Cultural Studies), STDA (Dance Studies), STGS (Gender & Sexuality Studies),
STMU (Music Studies), STPF (Performance Studies)
- Select courses from : Art History or LA Elective.
Electives (24 credits)
- Complete 24 credits of electives. This requirement is satisfied by any undergraduate course that isn’t required by the program.