College of Performing Arts sophomores including Voice, Acting, Theater Management and Production, and Dance majors who have earned a 3.0 GPA in their major are eligible, by audition, to enroll in a range of courses (usually 15 credit hours) leading to the fulfillment of a minor in musical theater. The faculty in the Schools of Dance, Music, and Theater conduct auditions required for admission to the minor, which is to be restricted for only those students most apt to succeed in cross-disciplinary training. In order to continue through the sequence of courses in the minor, students are required to earn a grade of B or better in the initial cross-discipline courses in Voice, Dance and/or Acting normally taken in the minor during the sophomore year.
This course of study is designed solely for students majoring in Voice, Acting, Theater Management and Production and Dance since their success in the minor is due in part to their continuing, concentrated study and growth in their individual majors. In other words, ongoing development as a dancer, actor, or vocal major enhances students’ ability to succeed in the minor.
Students wishing to include a minor are governed by the following guidelines:
- Students must meet eligibility requirements, which may include a satisfactory grade-point average, prerequisites, and departmental portfolio review.
- An intent to complete a minor is declared by filing the completed Minor Declaration Form with the Office of the Registrar. The forms are available in the Office of the Registrar.
- A student may not major and minor in the same program, except where indicated.
- Courses applied to the minor may only be applied toward elective requirements.
- All minors require a minimum of 15 credits, with the exception of E-Music for Music majors. Generally, no substitutions to the minor requirements are allowed. In exceptional situations where substitutions are granted, they must have the approval of both the major and minor program advisors.
- The requirements of the minor must be completed prior to graduation.
- A student pursuing a minor may be required to complete more than the minimum number of credits required to complete the undergraduate degree in order to also complete the minor.
- Minors are available only to undergraduate students.
Musical Theater Minor for Voice Majors
Elective - Select one of the following:
- MUPF 8XX - Music Ensemble: Select Two courses, 2 cr
Dance Courses - Select three of the following:
Musical Theater for Dance Majors
- Elective - Select one of the following
- Two Music ensembles - MUPF 8XX, 1 cr each
- THEA 353 - Musical Theater History I Credits: 3 cr
- THEA 354 - Musical Theater History II Credits: 3 cr
Musical Theater Minor for Theater Majors
- Take three Dance classes - DAPF 111X, 112X, 311X, 231X, 121X, 101X, 201X, 425, 1 cr each x 3 = 3 cr
- Elective - Select one of the following:
- Two Music ensembles - MUPF 8XX, 1 cr each x 2 = 2 cr
- THEA 353 Musical Theater History I Credits: 3 cr
- THEA 354 Musical Theater History II Credits: 3 cr