Aug 26, 2019
Professional musicians teach in various settings such as private lessons, classroom lectures, presentations at conferences, directing performing ensembles, and as artists in residence. The Music Education minor is open to all music majors desiring preparation for these roles.
The Music Education minor complements the degree studies of all music majors with two courses even counting within the liberal arts core of the student’s bachelor degree. Coursework includes instruction in each of the instrument families, pedagogy of private instruction and improvisation, conducting, rehearsing jazz ensembles, the psychology of teaching and learning music, and the needs of special learners. Field experiences include working with ensembles in public and private schools.
Music Education minors will be able to complete the Master of Arts in Teaching degree (MAT) and receive teacher certification in one additional academic year. This “4 +1” option allows students to earn a MUED minor, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, and teacher certification in only five years.
Coursework is based on current Pennsylvania Department of Education teacher certification requirements. This program may be revised as needed to accommodate new state requirements.
Students wishing to include a minor are governed by the following guidelines:
- Students must meet eligibility requirements, which may include a satisfactory grade-point average, prerequisites, and departmental portfolio review.
- An intent to complete a minor is declared by filing the completed Minor Declaration Form with the Office of the Registrar. The forms are available in the Office of the Registrar.
- A student may not major and minor in the same program, except where indicated.
- Courses applied to the minor may only be applied toward elective requirements.
- All minors require a minimum of 15 credits, with the exception of E-Music for Music majors. Generally, no substitutions to the minor requirements are allowed. In exceptional situations where substitutions are granted, the approval of both the major and minor program advisors are required.
- The requirements of the minor must be completed prior to graduation.
- A student pursuing a minor may be required to complete more than the minimum number of credits required to complete the undergraduate degree in order to also complete the minor.
- Minors are available only to undergraduate students.
Music Education Minor Credits: 20
- MUED 110 - Brass Instruments Credits: 1 cr, 1 hr
- MUED 111 - Flute & Double Reed Instrument Credits: 1 cr, 1 hr
- MUED 112 - Folk and Social Instruments Credits: 1 cr, 1 hr
- MUED 113 - Percussion Instruments Credits: 1 cr, 1 hr
- MUED 114 - Single Reed Instruments Credits: 1 cr, 1 hr
- MUED 115 - String Instruments Credits: 1 cr, 1 hr
- MUED 320 - Music Pedagogy I - Private Lessons Credits: 1 cr, 1 hr
- MUED 321 - Music Pedagogy II – Improvisation Credits: 1 cr, 1 hr
- MUED 400 - Psychology of Music Teaching & Learning Credits: 3 cr, 3 hrs
- MUED 401 - Music and Special Children Credits: 3 cr, 3 hrs
- MUED 430 - Rehearsal Techniques - Jazz Ensemble Credits: 2 cr, 2 hrs
- MUED 431 - Basic Conducting Credits: 2 cr, 2 hrs
- MUSC 499 - Music Internship Credits: 1-3 cr
- Jazz Band/Choir (1 cr) and Marching Band or School Musical (1 cr)